The Operating Partners have contacted senior hospital officials to explain the RARE Campaign. Once your hospital joins the campaign, a RARE Resource Consultant will contact you about getting started.
Getting Started Steps
Here are the first steps that your hospital will need to undertake to launch its participation in the RARE Campaign.
- Hospital CEO selects an executive sponsor and a team leader to lead the improvement work.
- The CEO and executive sponsor communicate throughout the organization the reasons for engaging in the RARE Campaign, the Potentially Preventable Readmissions (PPR) data and their hospital's goals for the campaign. (An internal communication kit will be provided.)
- The CEO and executive sponsor communicate with community stakeholders (such as long-term care facilities, physician clinics, home health agencies, etc.) regarding the RARE Campaign to engage them in the work.
- Leadership identifies and selects a physician champion.
- The executive sponsor convenes a Cross Continuum of Care Guidance Team and Working Team. (See Getting Started Guide) Depending on the size and structure of your organization you may want to form a Cross Continuum of Care Guidance Team that meets monthly and a Working Team that meets weekly to develop and implement the improvements. In some organizations this may be one team that meets frequently. Sample Guidance Team Agenda
- Complete an organizational assessment.
- Select the key area or areas to begin the work. Your RARE Resource Consultant can assist with this process.
- Provide organizational resources to accomplish improvements.
(Note: if you have work underway in reducing readmissions, you can build on your existing work.)
Getting Started Guide (3-page PDF)