Mental Health Collaborative - Getting Started
Here are the first steps that your hospital will need to undertake to launch its participation in the RARE Mental Health Collaborative.
This collaborative is based on the success of the RARE (Reducing Avoidable Readmissions Effectively) campaign. One of the keys of RARE is demonstrated executive leadership commitment. The following are recommended as a guide for getting this work off to a good start.
- The hospital CEO selects an executive sponsor and a team leader to lead the improvement work.
- The CEO and executive sponsor communicate throughout the organization the reasons for engaging in the RARE Collaborative for Mental Health.
- Leadership communicates with community and transition of care stakeholders regarding the RARE Collaborative for Mental Health to engage them in the work.
- Leadership identifies and selects a psychiatric physician champion.
- The executive sponsor convenes a Cross Continuum of Care Guidance Team and Working Team. (See team composition references.) Depending on the size and structure of your organization you may want to form a Cross Continuum of Care Guidance Team that meets monthly and a Working Team that meets weekly to develop and implement the improvements. In some organizations this may be one team that meets frequently. Either of these teams may already exist in your organization; existing team scopes could be expanded to include this work.
- Schedule all team members to attend Collaborative events
Webinar: January 14, event materials: webinar and slides
Kick-off Learning Day: February 19, 8:30 – 4:30 p.m.,
Maplewood Community Center
- Complete an organizational assessment.
- Select the key area or areas to begin the work. Your RARE Collaborative for Mental Health Resource Consultant can assist with this process.
- Provide organizational resources to accomplish improvements.
Note: if you have work underway in reducing readmissions, you can build on your existing work.
Getting Started Guide (4-page PDF)